This project involves the remediation of a brownfield former industrial site on the banks of the River Leven in Dumbarton, opening up a section of riverside that has been closed off to the public for over 160 years and providing 150 residential units in a mix of housing sizes and types.
Dunbritton/ Cullross Ltd
Originally the site of Archibald McMillan’s shipyard, the site became a grain whisky distillery in the 1930’s, which closed in 2006. The demolition of the last distillery building has provided new views of the Rock and Dumbarton Castle and provides a link to a new riverside walkway which will eventually connect the town centre to the Rock and Castle.
A consistent approach to materials is planned with environmental factors and the industrial heritage being the principal driver behind material choice. Brick has been chosen as the elevation treatment due to its robustness in a marine environment, with recessed band detailing reflecting the former distillery buildings which were also constructed of brick.
A shared surface approach to the street design has also allowed a large number of parking spaces to be incorporated into traditionally proportioned streets which are orientated towards the views and to avoid surviving dock structures which remain underground from the days of shipyard use.
Lochside Academy The new Lochside Academy is located on the southern edge of Aberdeen, at the heart of a large regeneration masterplan. The new 14,450m2 campus replaced the existing Torry and...
Financial Services Hybrid Working
Financial Services Hybrid Working jmarchitects supported our client through a change in working culture that was triggered by the Covid-19 pandemic and assisted with the subsequent implementation...
Elgin High School
Elgin High School The new build 10,200m² Elgin High School was designed to respond to the Curriculum for Excellence agenda and promotes a progressive culture of learning, enhancing links between the...