Alderley Edge Festival Hall and Medical Centre, Cheshire
Located on the periphery of the Alderley Edge Conservation Area, this new building had to be sensitive to the surrounding character and history of the site whilst still creating a visual focus at the head of Stamford Road. The improved facilities at the newly refurbished Festival Hall have made a hugely positive contribution to the local community.
Alderley Edge Parish Council/ Emerson
The project consisted of two distinct requirements; the refurbishment of and extension to the 1920’s Festival Hall and the completion of a new build GP surgery to the front of the existing Hall. Alderley Edge Festival Hall was originally constructed in 1927 to be the home of a local music festival. The building is locally listed and regarded as a main community facility, positioned in a central part of the village.
The Medical Centre was a new build following the demolition of the front part of the Festival Hall which was unused and in a rapidly deteriorating condition. The new build replacement was designed to reflect the style and materials of the existing without slavishly copying the era. The new medical centre provided 19 consultation/treatment rooms, a pharmacy, minor surgery room and offices creating better accessibility and facilities.
The Festival Hall itself received a full internal refurbishment, new build entrance and support facilities to the side, new mechanical and electrical services, removal of the existing stage and installation of a new bar and kitchen.
The Medical Centre proposal was to support a local GP practice to relocate to a modern facility. The existing surgery suffered from poor access and was outdated for present day medical requirements.
An agreement was reached to relocate the Medical Practice to the front area of the Festival Hall site. Accommodation for an improved surgery required the demolition and replacement of the existing unused frontage whilst the main part of the hall behind it was to be retained and refurbished.
The benefits of this development were numerous, and this is reflected by the extent of the community support that has been expressed in favour of the scheme. The finished result has lead to two, modern facilities which are fully accessibility to all members of the public and better met the needs of the local groups they serve.
Wallyford Learning Campus A place for the community to meet and learn together, Wallyford Learning Campus is a state-of-the-art community building that is truly inclusive, intergenerational and...
Newcraighall East Residential-led development with 220 units of affordable and private housing, an 800 sqm commercial development, and associated infrastructure such as landscaping, amenity, green...
61 Curzon Street The new eight storey building demonstrates how a carefully crafted contextual design can both enhance the streetscape and improve the setting of the neighbouring listed buildings in...