The main factory buildings were built between 1883-1901 and the site also incorporates earlier buildings from 1816 and 1847. Since 2005 when production ceased, the factory which commands a prominent site in Dunfermline on a major transport artery, has been left dormant and has fallen into a state of disrepair.
The most prominent aspect of the existing Pilmuir Works is the 28-bay, 3 storey Italianate warehouse that faces on to Pilmuir Street. We intend to retain these facades, only making minor interventions to better suit the structure’s redevelopment to its future residential use. The engine house and chimney stack will also be retained and converted for commercial use, creating a new urban square which will invite the public to interact further with the new development.