Maryhill Burgh Halls was originally completed in 1878 and designed by Duncan McNaughtan to provide a social hub for the community of Maryhill; however, the Halls had lain derelict for seven years and were on the Buildings at Risk Register.
Through refurbishment of the former hall and administration building, façade retention and selective demolition of the former Police Station and Lamplighters buildings, we inserted new accommodation wrapping around an external courtyard. Our careful design respects the historical buildings, whilst utilising their nature to provide integrated accommodation.
The Halls now acts as a symbol of regeneration, innovation and inspiration for the local community. Its varied uses provide a valuable revenue stream for the Trust, which not only facilitated the project but also enabled the retention of a significant historical building within the context of Maryhill and Glasgow.